Sunday, July 11, 2010

Garam Masala

Years back I used to enjoy reading food columns in Times of India by Jiggs Kalra. One such column regarding different types of Indian masalas and pastes caught my eye and I then stated following his recipes with a little variation here and there. He wrote about three different types of garam masala. So here I go.

Garam Masala -1 Ingredients
  1. 200 gms /7 oz cumin seeds
  2. 60 gms / 2 oz coriander seeds
  3. 45 gms / 1 1/2 oz black cardamoms
  4. 35 gms / 1 1/4 oz black peppercorns
  5. 30 gms / green cardamoms
  6. 20 sticks cinnamon ( 1")
  7. 20 gms / 3/4 oz cloves
  8. 20 gms / 3/4 oz mace
  9. 15 gms / 1/2 oz bay leaves
  10. 2 nutmegs
  11. 30 gms / 1 oz ginger powder
Mr. Kalra's Method

Put all the ingredients in a mortar and pound with a pestle to make a fine powder. Sieve and store in a airtight container.
I dry roast all the ingredients and run through the dry grinder.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I will ask you to post some recipes for me now.