Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sabudana Khichadi



Now, Sabudana (sago) Khichadi is a favourite dish of Maharashtrians and a must for a the day when one keeps a fast. A fortnight back we celebrated Aashadi Ekadashi and that was the time I made this for Shrikar. I never fast but Shrikar does so he can expect something different to eat. Many non Maharahtrians have developed a taste for this khichadi and hence this recipe is again for Geeta & Ripul. I wonder if they tried their hand at Pohe and Sabudana Wada. Anyway, here goes.

Ingredients:
  • Sago 2 cups, washed and kept aside for atleast 5 to 6 hrs. Leave a little bit of water in the sago so that it will become nice and soft.
  • 3/4 cup of roasted and ground peanuts.
  • 1 or 2 chopped green chillies according to your taste.
  • 1/2 tsp sugar.
  • red chilli powder 1/2 tsp. optional
  • salt to taste.
  • 1tsp cumin seeds.
  • 1 potato cut lengthwise and then sliced crosswise
  • 2tsp pure ghee or any other cooking oil.
  • chopped green corrainder, grated coconut and juice of 1/2 lemon for garnishing.

Method:

Add peanut powder, salt, sugar and red chilli powder to the soaked sabudana and mix it well. Heat a kadhai and put the ghee in it. Add the cumin when the ghee gets hot. Let the cumin splutter, add the green chillies and stir it for a second. Add potato pieces and fry till soft. Then add the sago mixture. Mix it well with the tadka and cover and keep it on sim for about ten minutes. Keep stirring in between but remember to cover it. When the sago turns transparent it is done. Add lime juice and corrainder and mix it well. Sprinkle the grated coconut just before serving.

3 comments:

Shipra Gupta said...

Hello,
Ripul shared your blog with me, and I really love all the dishes you have posted, reminds me that its been long I havent cooked the saboodana varities.. I am adding your blog to my favs..

Sanju said...

Thanks Shipra for visiting my blog. I basically do not like elaborate cooking. So most of my recipes will be easy and fast to cook.

Geeta Bose said...

Aunty thanks for the Sabudana Khichadi recipe. Earlier my khichadi used to be very dry, but thanks to your tip of keeping the khichadi covered for 10 minutes, now we have amazingly soft khichadi.

Sangeeta also tried the Sabudana Vada at my place and it turned out to be amazingly yummy. :)